Monday, April 25, 2016

Starting to pack for Machu Pichuu and The Salkantay Trail

I leave for Machu Pichuu soon and it is time to start packing. Because this is a hiking trip, I am planning to go in one back pack and my goal is to keep it under 18 lbs.  I am packing for an 8 day trip. The temperatures will be in the low 60s during the day and a couple of nights when we are camping above 10,000 feet, the temps could drop below freezing. So I will be wearing layers that I can peel off as the day gets warmer and add back on when the sun drops from the sky. 
My packing list consists of
Thermal leggings and long sleeve shirt
Two tank tops
Two light weight dresses to wear with leggings
Northface thermal
Northface rain jacket
Packable thermal coat
Hat and gloves 
Hiking shoes, Tieks , and flip flops
2 pairs of wool socks and sock liners
Bathing suit for hot springs
Camping towel
Toiletries including toliet paper
Hiking sticks
1 pound sleeping bag with liner
Water bladder and water purifying tablets
Phone Charger and converter
Passport and local currency
Earplugs and earphones
Small journal ( moleskin) and pen
a few snacks
Packable duffel bag that weighs 1 lb. and fits in a small bag. 

Without filling the water bladder, my carry on backpack will weigh 17.5 pounds. When we start to hike, I am taking the expandable duffel bag and dividing my things into two bags . The porters will carry 11 pounds for me on their horses and I will carry 6.5 plus my water.  Keeping my day pack light is important to me because this Florida girl lives at 10 feet above sea level and I will be hiking up to 15,000 feet and then back down to Machu Pichuu which is around 10,500.  To avoid altitude sickness , they recommend staying hydrated and avoiding caffeine and liquor. I have started by giving up the liquor 30 days ago but the coffee is something I just cant do!
I have wanted to make this journey before I got too old to walk it and I am fortunate enough to be going with family and friends. 
Now that my packing is complete, I need to register with the Embassy, make copies of my passport , and download a few books to read on the plane and maybe a movie or two.
The excitement of preparing for the trip is half the fun for me. I love the challenge of packing light and really scrutinize what goes in my bag to make sure it is necessary. For me there is more freedom in taking less than lugging it all over the world and not using it! Please leave me some feed back by posting a message.  I am new at the blogging thing , so let me know what was helpful and let me know if you have questions or subjects you would like me blog about. 





1 comment:

  1. You go girl! I'm going light for the hike but might just pack "normal" for the Lima/Cusco days. Only planning on giving the porters my sleeping bag while hiking. Just carrying a change of clothes, bathing suit and toiletries on the hike leaving everything else in my suitcase in Cusco.

    ReplyDelete